Preparation time: 30 mins
- 2 cups of Kabuli chana / Garbanzo Beans (soak overnight and pressure cooked till done)
- 2 large onions
- 1 large tomato/ tomato Puree
- 1 tsp of garam masala
- 1 tsp Jeera powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp of chopped ginger
- 1 small bunch of coriander leaves or cilantro (according to preference)
- 1 tsp of red chilli powder
- 2-3 Bayleaves
- ½ tsp Jeera seeds
- 1 tbsp of oil
- ½ tbsp of tumeric
- 1 tsp of salt (adjust to taste)
Method of Preparation:
- Heat some oil in a pan and add the jeera and bayleaves till it sputters.
- Add onions and fry till they turn golden brown, add the chopped ginger and fry for a few seconds
- Add the tomatoes and cook until it soften. Add the turmeric poweder.
- Add the pre cooked chole, add to it the jeera, coriander and garam masala powder. Fry for another 5 mins.
- Finally add chilli powder and salt to taste
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves or cilantro
You can either prepare chhole using this recipe or use a tin of Jyoti Chhole for preparing the following recipes. Jyoti Chhole is made with 100% organic and healthy Garbanzo Beans.
Rice and Beans:
Cook 1 cup of JYOTI Basmati Supreme or any long grain rice with 2 cups water on low heat partly covered. When the rice is done, add 1 can of JYOTI Chhole, mix well, cover and put back on low heat for 5 min.
Serve as a rice dish.
Spicy Chickpea Soup:
Puree one can of JYOTI Chhole with one can water and an 8 oz can of tomato sauce in a blender. Heat the blend in a sauce pan and serve sprinkled with finely chopped parsley or coriander.
Variations: 1 cup grated cheddar cheese and ½ cup water, blend in while heating. Also, try Plain yogurt or buttermilk in place of tomato sauce.
Remove skin and excess fat from 1 lb chicken pieces. Add to a skillet, 2 tbsp oil, one coarsely chopped onion and garlic to your taste and the chicken pieces and cook covered on med heat for about 20 min. Add one can JYOTIChhole and a cup of peas, cover and continue cooking on low heat for another 30 min.
Variation: Puree 1 can Chhole with 1 can water in a blender. Add this puree to browned chicken, and a cup of green peas, cook on low heat.
Chhole with vegetables:
Boil 1 cup of mixed vegetables (green peas, diced carrots, green beans) till just tender. Drain, add 1 can JYOTI Chhole, mix and microwave, or cook on low about 10 min. Variation: Add 1 cup sliced mushrooms to the Chhole.