Paneer Butter Masala is one of the most famous cottage cheese dish served in almost all Indian families. Soft succulent cottage cheese cubes in creamy tomato based gravy is a mouth watering dish to serve.
- 250 gms paneer/cottage cheese, cubed
- 2 tbsp cashew paste
- 4-5 medium size tomatoes – pureed
- 1 or 2 green chili, slit
- 1 tbsp of ginger garlic paste
- 1 inch ginger – julienned
- 1 tbsp oil + 1 or 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp kasuri methi/dry methi leaves
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp garam masala or tandoori masala
- 1 bay leaf/tej patta
- 1.5 cups water
- A few coriander/cilantro leaves for garnishing
- Salt and sugar as required
- Heat oil and butter in a pan.
- Add bay leaf and fry for some 10-15 seconds or till the oil become fragrant.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and fry till the raw aroma disappears.
- Add the tomato puree and stir well.
- Add red chili powder after 2-3 mins and stir again.
- Saute till the oil starts to leave the sides of the tomato paste.
- Add cashew paste and stir well.
- Saute the cashew paste till the oil begins to leave the sides of the masala paste.
- Add water and stir.
- Simmer on a low flame.
- Add julienned ginger and green chilies, salt and sugar and simmer till the curry begins to thicken.
- Add the paneer cubes and cook them for 2-3 minutes till they become soft.
- Don’t cook for a long time as the paneer will become dense.
- Lastly add crushed kasuri methi/dry fenugreek leaves & garam masala. Stir.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve paneer butter masala hot with plain naan, garlic naan, rotis or steamed basmati or jeera rice side accompaniments can be onion-lemon salad or some pickle.